Auffie’s Random Thoughts

Monday, August 01, 2005

Bill Frist’s treachery

I used to have much respect for Senate majority leader Bill Frist, but his recent actions have caused me to choke. First was the delay of voting on the repeal of the death tax. Then there was his announcement of support for expanding federal funding of embryonic stem-cell research.

Of the latter event Glenn Reynolds wrote, “I am with Frist.” This struck me as strange coming from an ardent libertarian. That he would support embryonic stem-cell research was to be expected, but I should think that as a libertarian he would oppose federal funding of it.

Anyway, I am beginning to lose my respect for Sen. Frist because of his treachery. Even if it is a calculated move to garner support from the “center” of the political spectrum in preparation for his potential presidential run, it is by no means clear that such a move is wise in the current political climate. But then what do I know.

(UPDATE 2005-08-01 09:19) Ha, I am glad that I qualified my complaints with “what do I know.” This article from the GOP site, by someone who worked for Sen. Frist, cautions against pre-judging him. I suppose I shall halt the sliding of my respect for the time being and adopt a wait-and-see attitude.

(UPDATE 2005-08-07 16:53) I have been thinking about the possiblity that Sen. Frist’s apparent shift in position was more a political gesture than substantive change, especially in light of the fact, as he must have known, that President Bush would veto policies that would federally fund research involving creation and destruction of embryos. This line of thinking is in part confirmed by the latest edition of the Federalist Patriot (05-31), which usually is quite insightful in its political analysis:

On the culture front...

The Patriot has received countless inquiries from readers regarding the position this publication takes on Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's revised stance on federal funding for embryonic stem-cell research. At this point, our response has to be underwhelming.

As it stands, it's unclear just how much Sen. Frist has changed his position. He says that of the 78 existing embryonic stem-cell lines the federal government agreed to fund, only 22 are actually viable for research. Consequently, Frist says, Congress should increase funding to speed the research, and expand federally funded research to embryos created in vitro and frozen by couples who, having completed their fertility treatment, donate them to research. Otherwise, these embryos would remain frozen or be destroyed. Frist has endorsed House legislation to this effect -- legislation that does not permit creating embryos for research purposes.

All in all, this appears to be a mild change in policy; a slippery slope it need not be. Sen. Frist is, undoubtedly, jockeying for leverage on other issues, knowing that President Bush has vowed to veto any expansion to federal funding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home