Auffie’s Random Thoughts

Friday, December 11, 2009

Kavakos and the Berliner Philharmoniker

I just listened to the first movement of Beethoven's violin concerto on Berliner Philharmoniker's Digital Concert Hall, with Leonidas Kavakos as solo violinist. I felt his interpretation to be rather bland, with the tempo on the slow side. Though he plays effortlessly with a clean tone, his phrasing and expressions were rather underwhelming. The bowings were somewhat unusual in many passages: where most violinists would probably played with slurs, he used separate bows.

Maybe my existing familiarity with various renditions of the concerto prejudiced me somewhat, so I will try to listen to it once more and see if I missed something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home