Auffie’s Random Thoughts

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Jeopardy!

I enjoy watching Jeopardy! a lot.  The "answers" are often too hard for me, esp. those having to do with pop culture, history, and literature.  I do somewhat better with science.

Last night's Final Jeopardy, however, was an interesting exception. The category was "literary character", and part of the clue was that the character's name was based on Greek words for "all" and "tougue". Knowing a little Greek, I came up with Pangloss (a character from Voltaire's Candide).  For this I have to thank Gary North, from whose writing I learned about this character.  I don't remember the exact reference now, but he used this name to mock a professor whose name had a superficial resemblance with it: starting with a P, ending with ss, and having a y in the middle which, like g, goes below the line.

Too bad I couldn't wager real money.

UPDATE 2009-03-16: By the way, for the record, I have a great deal of respect for the above-referenced professor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home