Auffie’s Random Thoughts

Friday, October 01, 2010

I don't use Facebook either

I'll admit that, if used judiciously, Facebook could be a useful tool. But how many are judicious users anyway?

After reading this article on American Thinker, I had a follow-up thought on the paragraph:

My second objection is that the very use of the word "friend" betrays its falseness. I doubt that I've ever used the word in speaking with anyone I know. If one of us were to ask "are you my friend?" the answer would automatically have to be "no"; the asking of the question implies the answer. It's like the explanation of a charming young English acquaintance that "one never calls a woman a lady unless she isn't."

To add to the list of phony adjectives: at the level of statecraft, the use of the word Democratic (or the vernacular equivalent, People's -- or both!) in the name of a country instantly betrays the fact that it is not. (Think of the former East Germany, North Korea, and China.)

By the way, I still like blogging, even though I don't always have time for it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home