Auffie’s Random Thoughts

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Solution to my problem with BPO's DCH?

OK, first, a few definitions for the acronyms in the title. BPO is the world-famous Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra (deutsch: Berliner Philharmoniker). DCH is the recently (January 2009) unveiled Digital Concert Hall, at which subscribers may watch live concerts as well as archived concerts in the season from the comfort of their living room. I have watched quite a number of concerts already, and it's well worth the price 89 of for an entire year.

Except, of course, for potential network problems. It seems that in every concert there would be two or three instances that the streaming was disrupted for a few seconds. Here is my current configuration:
  • Intel Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600@2.4GHz, 6GB RAM, Microsoft Vista 64-bit
  • Latest version (10.x) of Adobe Flash Player (running with the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer)
  • 3Mbps DSL connection (I can usually get 2.5Mbps sustained on bandwidth tests)
  • 100Mbps wired local area network to the DSL modem, with a NetGear WGT624v3 router
Here is a snapshot of the network activity as captured by the Windows Task Manager:


Note that toward the right, there are two periods of a few seconds with no network activity. The lengths of these two periods were greater than the buffered contents, and, as a result, I experienced the disruptions in content delivery.

This occurred with such regularity that I think there must be a problem somewhere in the network, either my own or along the path to DCH's server—which, not surprisingly, seems to exist in various locations in the world, so that I am actually getting fed from one close to where I live.

I found an update to the firmware of the NetGear router, and the release notes indicate, "Fixed - DHCP reboot issue by heavy traffic". Well, I have been letting the router assign a dynamic address to the media PC, and since watching a concert involves rather heavy network traffic, could this actually pinpoint my problem? So I downloaded the firmware patch. In addition, I reconfigured the media PC to have a static address, so that it doesn't use DHCP at all.

Last night, I watched Bruckner's 9th Symphony again (the first two movements, interrupted in between by an hour of 24), and the streaming went smoothly. Of course, this is not proof that my problem was resolved. But there is hope.

UPDATE 2009-04-05: I was disappointed to experience disruptions to the streaming tonight. I guess this wasn't a fix after all.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home