Auffie’s Random Thoughts

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Have you given up on the Republican Party?

That was the opening question of a piece of mass mail I received yesterday from the Republican National Committee. The RNC wants me to renew my membership (read: pay the fee).

Interestingly, I have been asking myself the same question. Given the incompetence of the Republicans (whatever happened to entitlement and tax reforms?) and the out-of-control spending ($200 billion for rebuilding New Orleans out of federal coffers, i.e., about $400,000 for each of the 500,000 displaced households!?), I am inclined to answer in the affirmative to the question. I may still contribute to individual candidates, but until the Republicans as a party can make a significant positive impact in steering the nation back to classical liberalism (freer markets, lower taxes, fiscal restraint, less intrusive government, more emphasis on individual responsibility, etc.), I will not give a penny to the party.

I was quite tempted to return the mailing to RNC with a loud protest, “YES, I HAVE GIVEN UP ON THE REPUBLICAN PARTY.” But I decided it was easier for me to put the whole thing through the shredder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home