Auffie’s Random Thoughts

Thursday, October 14, 2004

The Road to Serfdom

Got the 50th anniversary edition of F. A. Hayek’s classic, The Road to Serfdom. Milton Friedman, in his introduction to this edition, has a footnote on page xi saying,
I use the term liberal, as Hayek does in the book, and also in his Preface to the 1956 Paperback Edition (p. xxxv below), in the original nineteenth-century sense of limited government and free markets, not in the corrupted sense it has acquired in the United States, in which in means almost the opposite.
I cannot agree more. In my previous post about classical liberalism, I complained about the same corruption of the use of this fine term.

The other feature of classical liberalism that I did not explicitly note is the respect for private property. Collectivism refuses to recognize private property rights, because in that ideology the state (read: the elite) owns the means of production and therefore effectively enslaves the general populace. I believe that the Eighth Commandment, “Thou shalt not steal,” presupposes the recognition of private property; for if there is no such recognition, what does it mean to steal?

I think The Road to Serfdom should be required reading for every voter. But that’s only a pipe dream.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home